Find a Hospital
Center Hospital of the National Center for Global Health and Medicine
- Departments and Centers
- Respiratory medicine
- Surgery (Breast and thyroid)
- Oral and maxillofacial Surgery
- Intensive Care Unit
- Disease Control and Prevention Center
- Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism
- Otorhinolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
- Surgery (Hepato-Biliary-Pancreatic Surgery)
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Department of Emergency Medicine & Critical Care
- AIDS Clinical Center (ACC)
- Medical Examination Center
- General Internal Medicine
- Psychosomatic medicine
- Genomic Medicine
- Palliative care
- Diagnostic Radiology
- Radiation Oncology
- Surgery (Colorectal Surgery)
- Surgery (Upper GI surgery)
- Thoracic Surgery
- Cardiovascular surgery
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Outpatient Treatment Center
NCGM is one of Japan's top hospital for bronchial thermoplasty for severe bronchial asthma in terms of case number.
We also perform thoracoscopy under local anesthesia for the investigation of pleural effusion with unknown cause, often referred to us by other hospitals.
Bronchial stent placement and EBUS using endoscopic ultrasonography are also routinely performed.
Most doctors speak English and one doctor is fluent in Vietnamese.
- Lung cancer
- Bronchial asthma
- Pleural effusion
- Central airway stenosis
- Hiler/mediastinal lymph node lesion
- Distal lung lesion
- Bronchial thermoplasty for severe bronchial asthma
- Thoracoscopy under local anesthesia
- Bronchial stent placement with rigid bronchoscope
- EBUS-TBNA (diagnostic)
- EBUS-GS-TBLB (diagnostic)
Cardiology Department promotes international medical care as a national center and provides advanced medical care as an advanced treatment hospital. As the core hospital in the region, it supports a wide variety of cardiovascular diseases. In Tokyo, it is one of the hospitals with a large number of cases related to examination and treatment of cardiovascular medicine. It is conducted mainly by certified physicians and specialists of the Japanese Association of Cardiovascular Intervention and Therapeutics.
- Ischemic heart disease
- Arteriosclerosis obliterans
- Heart failure
- Coronary angioplasty (drug-eluting stent, atherectomy)
- Pacemaker implantation
- Peripheral angioplasty
- Cardiac rehabilitation
- Coronary artery CT
- Cardiac scintigraphy
- Percutaneous myocadial ablation
- Electrophysiological study (EPS)
Nephrology Department of NCGM provides highly specialized medical care for a wide variety of kidney diseases in acute to chronic phases including safe and swift renal replacement therapy where necessary. We also provide blood purification therapy in cooperation with other departments. Our specialized outpatient center are visited by many patients from the US, Europe, as well as Asian countries who seek evidence-based diagnoses/treatments. We have many English-speaking doctors and medical interpreters from the International Health Care Center (remote interpreting is available for languages without an on-site interpreter) providing multilingual interpretation services. Our aim is to offer the best personalized medical care that is in line with the national and international standards and to contribute to the advancement of clinical medicine by actively participating in conferences and publishing studies in medical journals both in and out of Japan. We also take part in overseas cooperation in Vietnam and Malaysia despite the challenges posed by the pandemic, creating videos for technical assistance where face-to-face education is not possible.
- Chronic kidney diseases (inclu. Stage 5)
- Nephrotic syndrome
- Acute renal insufficiency
- Kidneｙ biopsy
- Hemodialysis introduction (partial weaning possible)
- Blood purification therapy
- Peritoneal dialysis
Hematology Department treats patients with a wide variety of hematologic diseases in cooperation with other departments including the International Health Care Center. We usually confirm diagnosis and symptoms in the outpatient center first to determine the treatment strategy, but depending on the patient's clinical condition, we may provide detailed examination and treatment in the inpatient setting from the start.
- Hematologic malignancies (leukemia/lymphoma/myeloma)
- Aplastic anemia
- Hematopoietic stem cell transplant
- Combination chemotherapy
- Immunosuppressive therapy
Surgery (Breast and thyroid)
Department of Breast and Medical Oncology performs diagnostic procedures and surgical treatments for patients with breast conditions. We also work with the Department of Medical Oncology when drug therapy is required.
- Breast cancer
- Phyllodes tumor
- Breast conserving surgery
- Simultaneous breast reconstruction
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy
- Axillary lymph node dissection
- Breast lumpectomy
- Stereotactic mammotome biopsy
As part of a national center, the Neurosurgery Department provides highly specialized and comprehensive medical care and surgical treatment for neurological disorders including stroke, brain tumor, head injury and spine/spinal cord disorders on a 24/7 basis. We take the Center's founding philosophy seriously and pride ourselves in offering the best medical care with the latest knowledge and techniques to patients from overseas.
- Subarachnoidal hemorrhage
- Cerebral hemorrahge
- Cerebral infarction
- Arteriovenous malformation (AVM)
- Unruptured aneurysm
- Internal carotid artery stenosis
- Brain tumor
- Spinal cord tumor
- Cervical spondylosis (CS)
- Intervertebral disc hernia
- Spinal canal stenosis
- Facial spasm
- Trigeminal neuralgia (TN)
- Acute epidural/subdural hematoma
- Cortical contusion
- Chronic subdural hematoma
- Craniotomy (clipping, evacuation of hematoma, AVM resection)
- Endovascular surgery (coil embolization, carotid artery stenting, AVM embolization, thrombectomy)
- Comprehensive treatment of the brain/spinal cord tumor (surgery, chemotherapy, radiotherapy)
- Anterior decompression discectomy and fusion, posterior decompression for spinal degenerative diseases
- Neurovascular decompression
- Decompressive craniectomy with hematoma evacuation and burr hole drainage with irrigation for head injury
- Neuroendoscopic hematoma evacuation surgery
Artificial joint replacement is an effective surgical treatment for patients with advanced deformation of knee/hip joints due to ageing, rheumatoid arthritis, and osteonecrosis and suffer from pain and walking difficulty. We aim to contribute to the international society by providing high-quality Japanese medical care to patients from overseas.
- Ligament injury
- Disc hernia
- Artificial joint replacement
Robot-assisted surgery is not widely available in Asia and many patients are seeking to receive such treatment in Japan. Similarly, laparoscopic surgery is commonly performed in Japan and Japanese technique is considered safe and highly advanced. We at Urology Department offer high-quality medical care to patients from all over the world.
- Prostate Cancer
- Kidney Cancer
- Renal pelvic cancer
- Ureteral cancer
- Robot assisted radical prostatectomy
- Robot assisted partial nephrectomy
- Laparoscopic nephrectomy
- Laparoscopic nephroureterectomy
Good treatment outcome for skin ulcer with negative pressure wound therapy.
Equipped with latest Japan-made Q-switch ruby laser machine, and recordable dermoscope.
Biotherapeutics for psoriasis, atopic eczema, idiopathic chronic uriticaria
- Skin ulcer
- Bedsore (pressure ulcer)
- Diabetic gangrene
- Lentigo senilis
- Nevus of Ota
- Spilus nevus
- Post trauma pigmentation
- Basal cell carcinoma
- Malignant melanoma
- Seborrheic keratosis
- Palmoplantaris pustulosis
- Atopic eczema
- Idiopathic chronic uriticaria
- Negative pressure wound therapy (NPWT) for skin ulcer (inpatient treatment only)
- Q-switched ruby laser treatment for bruise, etc.
- Diagnosis of pigmentary skin tumor with dermoscopｙ
- Biotherapeutics for psoriasis, palmoplantaris pustulosis, atopic eczema, idiopathic chronic uriticaria
Oral and maxillofacial Surgery
Hemangiomas (mainly venous malformations) in the oral cavity are treated with a combination of intralesion irradiation of the Nd:YAG laser and non-contact irradiation (so-called leopard irradiation), which can be used for cases that have not responded to other treatment methods or large vascular malformations.
- Hemangioma (Venous malformation)
- Treatment of large oral hemangioma (venous malformations )using intralesional laser photocoagulation
Intensive Care Unit
1. 43% of patients admitted to ICU require invasive positive pressure ventilation. Patients are discharged from the ICU only after safe weaning and extubation. We provide safe mechanical ventilation with a relatively low reintubation rate (2.3% compared to around 15% in general). In recent years, we increasingly perform NPPV and HFT on patients with heart failure and mild to moderate respiratory failure. Weaning, respiratory rehabilitation, and VAP prevention support are provided by the Respiratory Care Support Team (RST) to patients discharged from ICU with ventilation.
2. Complete cytoreductive surgery for pseudomyxoma peritonei used to be performed by the Surgery Department as a highly advanced medical treatment (B031) in the past but is currently not covered by medical insurance. Our strength is that we offer early postoperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy (EPIC) in the ICU, which is not available at other facilities.
3. We offer "Early Mobilization/Rehabilitation" support which was newly introduced in the Revision of Medical Fees in 2018 and have a multidisciplinary team consisting of doctors, nurses and physical therapists.
4. For patients with poor nutritional status for one week or more after admission into the ICU, registered nutritionists and pharmacists from the Nutrition Support Team (NST) provide support .
5. We accept patients from overseas with various medical needs ranging from post-operative care after highly invasive surgery to travel-related infectious diseases. Nationalities include Chinese (32%), Korean (18%), and Vietnamese (16%).
- Acute respiratory failure
- Chronic respiratory failure
- Pseudomyxoma peritonei
- Invasive positive pressure ventilation (IPPV）
- Noninvasive positive pressure ventilation (NPPV）
- High-fllow oxygen therapy through nasal cannula (HFT）
- Respiratory care support team (RST)
- Early postoperative intra-peritoneal chemotherapy (EPIC）
- Early mobilization & rehabilitation
- Acute-phase nutrition support team (NST)
- Support for international patients
Disease Control and Prevention Center
Disease Control and Prevention Center is one of the leading clinical centers for infectious disease treatment in Japan. Our approach isa combination of both traditional and latest diagnostic techniques including thorough history taking, , physical examination, mass spectrometer, and gene identification tools.
We also have abundant experience in the treatment of global infectious diseases such as dengue fever, Zika virus, as well as antimicrobial resistant bacterial infections.
- Fever of unknown origin
- Dengue fever
- Chikungunya fever
- Abdominal typhus
- Fever of unknown origin
- Diagnosis of travel-related infectious diseases
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- culture test
- Acid-fast bacteria test
- PCR(nested, multiplex)
- Mass spectrometry
- Multiplex gene identification test
Gastroenterology Department provides treatment for gastrointestinal diseases based on treatment guidelines. We offer endoscopic surgery/treatment for early stage cancers and biliopancreatic diseases, and provide elective treatment as well as emergency care for patients from overseas with acute pancreatitis and hepatitis. Our chemotherapy (including adjuvant chemotherapy) for gastrointestinal cancers is supported by the Surgery Department.
- Early stage esophageal cancer
- Early stage stomach cancer
- Early stage colorectal cancer
- Colorectal adenoma
- Biliary calculus (stone)
- Obstructive jaundice
- Intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm
- Pancreatic cancer
- Colorectal cancer
- Submucosal dissection of the esophagus/stomach (esophagus/stomach ESD)
- Submucosal dissection of the colon (colorectal ESD)
- Polyp/mucosal resection of the colon (colorectal EMR)
- Chemotherapy for biliopancreatic cancer
- Chemotherapy for large intestine cancer
- Chemotherapy for pseudomyxoma peritonei
Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism
NCGM is one of Japan's core hospitals in the field of diabetes, endocrinology and metabolism and plays a key role in providing advanced medical care to patients.
- Type 1 diabetes
- Grave's disease (hyperthyroidism)
- Educational admission for diabetes patients
- Insulin pump: Sensor Augmented Pump (SAP)／Insulin Pump (CSII)
- Continuous glucose monitoring: Continuous Glucose Monitoring System (CGM)／Intermittently Scanned CGM
- Thyroid radioactive iodine therapy
Pediatrics Department of the NCGM has the advantage of being part of a general hospital which allows us to work in close cooperation with other departments such as internal medicine, surgical, radiological and psychiatric departments. We offer specialized care for a wide range of pediatric cancers, blood disorders, allergic disorders, and spinal muscular atrophy. In some cases, we can provide treatments available in Japan but not currently approved in other countries, and we endeavor to accept overseas patients that can benefit from such treatments as well as rare pediatric infectious diseases.
We are certified by the Japanese Medical Specialty Board and the Japan Pediatric Society to offer medical specialist training programs and are also certified as a training facility by the Japanese Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology and the Japanese Society of Hematology. Our team of specialist doctors offers comprehensive and highly advanced medical care including unrelated donor hematopoietic stem cell transplant certified by the Japanese Society for Transplantation and Cellular Therapy.
We have accepted many patients from overseas who seek chemotherapy/hematopoietic stem cell transplant for pediatric cancers, hematopoietic stem cell transplant for pediatric blood disorders as well as gene therapy for spinal muscular atrophy.
- Pediatric cancers (leukemia, neuroblastoma, rhabdomyosarcoma, Ewing sarcoma, nephroblastoma)
- Pediatric blood disorders (aplastic anemia, pure red cell aplasia, neutropenia)
- Spinal muscular atrophy
- Pediatric allergic disorders (pediatric bronchial asthma, food allergies)
- Fever of Unknown origin
- Chemotherapy for pediatric cancer
- Radiotherapy for pediatric cancer (in cooperation with Radiology Department)
- Treatment for pediatric blood disorders
- Hematopoietic stem cell transplant (autologous, sibling, unrelated donor)
- Gene therapy for spinal muscular atrophy
- Intrathecal therapy for spinal muscular atrophy
- Oral drug therapy for spinal muscular atrophy
- Oral drug therapy for lymphangioma
- Cause investigation/treatment for pediatric allergic disorders (immunologic desensitization)
- Cause investigation for fever of unknown origin (tests, PET)
Otorhinolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
Otorhinolaryngology Department offers comprehensive care for a wide variety of otorhinolaryngologic disorders.
We provide treatment for phonological disorders (vocal cord polyps, vocal nodules) for professional singers, endoscopic treatment for early-stage pharyngeal/laryngeal cancer, as well as surgical treatment for parotid/thyroid tumors.
- Phonological disorders (vocal cord polyps, vocal nodules)
- Hypopharyngeal cancer
- Hemangioma of the pharynx/larynx
- Parotid tumor
- Thyroid tumor
- Voice test
- Endoscopic laser surgery
- Surgical removal of head/neck tumors
Under the management of Anesthesia for surgery, it is highly important to be able to communicate with spoken language as well as advanced medical equipment. For this reason, we NCGM provide face-to-face medical interpretation service or remote interpretation service for those patients who are not able to communicate in Japanese. We supply anesthesia for international patients, based on the understanding that it is difficult for both us and patients.
- Surgery in general
- Postoperative pain
- Planned childbirth (support for obstetrics department)
- Management of general anesthesia for surgery
- Management of local anesthesia for surgery
- Postoperative pain management
- Painless labor
Surgery (Hepato-Biliary-Pancreatic Surgery)
Hepato-Biliary-Pancreatic Surgery Department offers hepatectomy for hepatocellular cancer/metastatic liver cancer and repeat hepatectomy for recurrent hepatocellular cancer/metastatic liver cancer. We also perform laparoscopic hepatectomy, hepatectomy with indocyanine green (ICG) fluorescence navigation, surgery with chemotherapy for pancreatic cancer, surgical removal of biliary tract cancer, laparoscopic cholecystectomy for gallstone, as well as hernia repair for inguinal hernia.
- Hepatocellular cancer
- Metastatic liver cancer
- Pancreatic cancer
- Biliary tract cancer
- Gallbladder polyp
- Inguinal hernia
- Abdominal incisional hernia
- Laparoscopic hepatectomy
- Biliary tract/pancreas surgery
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy
- Hernia surgery
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Department is a world leader in the treatment of lymphedema, with top-class case number and outcome. We also have a long history of accepting patients and doctors from overseas.
- Supermicrosurgical Lymphaticovenular Anastomosis (LVA)
With a history of over 30 years, Rheumatology Department is Tokyo's leading center in treating a wide variety of rheumatological diseases including rheumatoid arthritis and systemic lupus erythematosus.
Treatment of collagen diseases is only possible with the cooperation of other departments and our aim is to provide international healthcare to patients from overseas and we endeavor to achieve this by working closely with other departments, especially with the International Health Care Center which offers interpretation services in various languages including English.
The head of our department is also in charge of health management at Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) and works as a contact person for trainees' medical needs.
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Systemic lupus erythematosus
- Sicca syndrome
- Mixed connective tissue disease
- Vasculitis syndrome
- Polymyalgia rheumatica
- Behcet's disease
Department of Emergency Medicine & Critical Care
Over 10,000 emergency patients are brought to the Department of Emergency Medicine & Critical Care at NCGM every year - the largest number in Tokyo. We also accept foreigners regardless of nationality, language, or type of insurance.
Adapting to the needs of the times, we have been at the forefront of the COVID-19 treatment from the outset of the pandemic with the cooperation of the Disease Control and Prevention Center, and played a key role in providing medical care for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic games in collaboration with the International Health Care Center
We work closely with the International Health Care Center to provide on-site medical interpretation service to overseas patients in English and Chinese. Mediphone (interpretation service via telephone/tablet device) is also availabe in 19 languages (English, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Nepali, Burmese, French, Thai, Tagalog, Indonesian, Russian, Spanish, Portugese, Persian, Mongolian, Hindi, Cantonese, Arabian, Bengali).
These services help us to communicate with patients promptly and accurately even in critical cases that require emergency surgery (amputation/trauma, myocardial infarction, etc.) so that we are able to accept patients that other hospitals cannot accommodate.
- Severe trauma
- Cardiac arrest
- Myocardial infarction
- Aortic dissection
- Aortic aneurysm rupture
- Cerebrovascular diseases
- Toe amputation
- Heart failure
- Trauma treatment (including orthopedic surgery for pelvic fracture, etc.)
- Sepsis treatment
- Severe poisoning treatment
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- Initial treatment for severe acute coronary syndrome
- Initial treatment for severe aortic diseases
- Initial treatment for severe cerebrovascular diseases
- Initial treatment for toe amputation
- Initial treatment for severe heart failure
AIDS Clinical Center (ACC)
AIDS Clinical Center (ACC) offers optimal treatment for patients based on individual condition and drug susceptibility.
Second opinion for antiretroviral therapy is also available.
- HIV infection
- Antiretroviral therapy
Medical Examination Center
Fully renovated in May 2016, the Medical Examination Center welcomed 3,385 visitors from overseas between 2016 and 2019. Taking advantage of the period when travel was restricted due to global COVID-19 pandemic, we upgraded the system to offer high-quality medical services to inbound visitors by introducing an innovative registration system for medical interpreters.
In this system, all related departments are involved in interviewing the candidates to ensure that interpreters meet not just language criteria, but also other qualities/skills that are necessary in clinical settings. We also use this system to select and certify external agents with the aim to prevent problems caused by poor quality agents. We have so far conducted 46 interviews in total and registered 60 interpreters (60/70) and certified 36 agents (36/41).
Currently, inbound patients are slowly returning, and we plan to review the effectiveness of the system (1-year renewal) post-pandemic.
- Lifestyle-related diseases
- Early stage cancer
- Brain tumor
- Cerebrovascular disease
- Heart failure
- Heart valve disease
- Ischemic heart disease
- Pancreatic cancer
- Pancreatic cystic disease
- Liver cirrhosis
- Complete medical checkup (overnight package only)
- Brain screening
- Heart screening
- Pancreas screening
- Liver screening
- Infectious diseases screening
- Hospital Tour
Angiography and interventional Radiology room
Radiation oncology room
Intensive care unit
Laboratory testing department
Admission/Discharge support center
Inpatient ward (Four-bed rooms)
- General Information
- Hospital Name
- Center Hospital of the National Center for Global Health and Medicine
- 1-21-1 Toyama, Shinjyuku, Tokyo, 162-8655
- http://www.hosp.ncgm.go.jp/en/ English
- http://www.hosp.ncgm.go.jp/ Japanese
- http://www.hosp.ncgm.go.jp/cn/ Chinese
- firstname.lastname@example.org English, Japanese, Chinese
- 5 minutes walk from Wakamatsu-kawada Station, Toei Subway Oedo Line
15 minutes walk from Waseda Station, Tokyo Metro Tozai Line
- 50 minutes by car from Tokyo International Airport (Haneda Airport)
90 minutes by car from Narita International Airport